Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
The Office of Human Resources (OHR) at Carnegie Mellon University is committed to supporting faculty, staff and student workers success through every stage of their employment at the university. We support the Carnegie Mellon 2025 Strategic Plan through driving efficient, effective, and nimble business practices to support the needs of an evolving university community. We recruit and retain outstanding people at all levels while encouraging a culture of diversity and inclusion, and support for professional and personal development.
The Benefits team is seeking a Benefits Administrator! The Benefits Administrator is primarily responsible for the administration of University faculty and staff benefit programs, including Tuition, the processing of invoices for all benefit programs, Unemployment Compensation, International Travel, and COBRA Administration and The Benefits Administrator is the benefit subject matter expert for assigned benefit processes and is required to maintain excellent knowledge of benefit programs. The position is responsible for ensuring compliance with policies, plan documents, ERISA and federal and state regulations, and understanding how legislative changes impact University benefit programs. In addition, the position is responsible for the creation and generation of benefit plan reports from financial and HRIS systems. The position coordinates programs with outside service providers and assists in preparation and distribution of various employee benefit communications, including employee presentations as required.
- Administration: Ensures benefit programs are administered accurately, timely and efficiently. Provides a high level of dedicated customer service support to internal and external customers. Serves as primary contact for plan vendors and third-party administrators. Documents and maintains administrative procedures for assigned benefit processes.
- Compliance: Ensures compliance with policies, plan documents, ERISA and federal and state regulations, including compliance responsibilities for process documentation and controls.
- Audit/Reconciliation: Audits the accuracy and performance of functions performed by other team members.
- Tuition Administration: Responsible the day to day administration of the Tuition Benefit program including the determination of eligibility, processing of claims and addressing of employee questions and concerns.
- Invoicing: Oversees the processing of invoices for all benefit programs. Ensures payments are made timely and accurately. Is fully versed in the operation and use of CMU financial systems.
- Unemployment Compensation (UC): Reviews claims, maintains UC database to track charges, and reconciles monthly UC invoice. Works with Office of General Counsel, HR Managers, and departments on sensitive and confidential termination agreements which may affect UC.
- Open Enrollment: Assists with the execution of annual Open Enrollment from inception to end including system testing, preparation of communication materials, employee counseling, and year end enrollment activities. Assists with the planning and coordination of Benefits and Fitness Fair held in conjunction with Open Enrollment.
- COBRA Administration: Oversees the COBRA reporting and enrollment processes, annual COBRA Open Enrollment and ongoing administration of COBRA processes and procedures.
- International Travel: Determines eligibility, tracks utilization, and provides travel documentation to employees.
- Communication: Develops, distributes and maintains employee benefit communications and materials. Delivers employee presentations, such as new hire orientation.
- Benefits Reporting: Creates and generates benefit plan reports from CMU and vendor systems.
- Systems testing: Participates in ongoing benefits and human resources systems testing.
- Special Projects: Works on special projects as needed. Assists with process and system audits. Prepares, submits, and analyzes data from various industry and national benefit surveys.
- Understands role of other team members and cross-trains duties and responsibilities as necessary.
- Attends required meetings and participates in various seminars and training classes to maintain and update skills and knowledge as needed. Keeps current on related legal and regulatory issues affecting benefits.
- Other duties as assigned.
Flexibility, excellence, and passion are vital qualities within the Office of Human Resources. Inclusion, collaboration, and cultural sensitivity are valued competencies at CMU. Therefore, we are in search of a team member who can effectively interact with a varied population of internal and external partners at a high level of integrity. We are looking for someone who shares our values and who will support the mission of the university through their work.
You should demonstrate:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to communicate clearly, succinctly, and persuasively
- Capability to work independently and as part of a team
- Bachelor's degree
- 1-3 years related experience
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Preferred: Certified Employee Benefits Specialist (CEBS), Certified Benefits Professional (CBP)
- Successful Background check
Interested in this opportunity? Apply today!
CMU's COVID-19 Vaccination Requirements: As a condition of employment, Carnegie Mellon University requires all staff and faculty working in the United States to be fully vaccinated, including a booster when eligible, against COVID-19. Prior to commencement of employment, new hires in the United States must provide proof of vaccination or obtain an approved exemption. (Exemptions may be requested for medical reasons or for religious or strong moral or ethical conviction.) Staff and faculty must comply with all applicable COVID-19 mitigation requirements. Please see Minimum Requirements to Return to Campus for details regarding the university's current COVID-19 mitigation requirements.
Staff - Regular
Full Time/Part time
Please visit "Why Carnegie Mellon" to learn more about becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change the world.
Click here to view a listing of employee benefits
Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran.
Statement of Assurance