Under limited supervision, reports directly to the Superintendent and serves in the second highest tier of administration in the organization; ensures the daily implementation of human resources functions which are fundamental to the effective and efficient operation of the District; has oversight responsibility for the planning, organization, and coordination of operations of all programs, services and matters related to the Division of Human Resources; assists the Superintendent in ensuring compliance with established Board goals, strategic plan, and all legal and procedural requirements attendant to the effective operation of the District.
Delegates to subordinates any of the powers and duties deemed necessary or advisable but continues to be responsible to the Superintendent for the execution of the powers and duties assigned. Directly supervises certified and classified personnel and indirectly supervises all full-time and part-time DCSD employees. Performs supervisory responsibilities in accordance with DCSD policies and applicable laws.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
The following duties are representative for this position. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the classification if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment for this classification. Other duties may be required and assigned.
· Oversees and ensures the operational effectiveness of all human resources core functions to include: personnel recruitment, onboarding, salary administration, leave administration, performance appraisal, employee relations, and benefits.
· Builds a highly inclusive environment in alignment with district core values as adopted by the Board of Education and strategic plan to establish operational effectiveness and achievement of organizational goals.
· Oversees the management and ensures legally sound and effective practices to comply with federal wage and overtime employment laws and applicable state and federal leaves administration policies and procedures.
· Directs the administration of the district’s compensation program in concert with applicable Board of Education policies and procedures. Develops and monitors procedures for salary administration and placement.
· Interprets policies and procedures to ensure compliance with governmental agencies and regulations on employment, records retention, retirement, grievance, and other personnel matters and procedures.
· Evaluates human resources policies and procedures for the purpose of establishing actionable goals and objectives that support the operational framework of the Division for both internal and external stakeholders.
· Collaborates with Senior Administration and Principals to identify current personnel needs and align processes and procedures to achieve desired outcomes.
· Develops comprehensive strategic recruiting and retention plans to meet the future personnel needs as defined by strategic goals. Assists Divisional leaders in preparing retention plans for the development of talent pipelines for future hiring needs and succession planning into critical leadership roles.
· Oversees the production of monthly reports denoting all new hires and separations in accordance with DeKalb County School District Board of
· Supports the vision and mission of the district and performs other duties as assigned by the Superintendent.
Education and/or Experience:
Master’s degree in Human Resources, Education, Business Administration or closely related field from a Professional Standards Commission approved accredited college or university required.
Minimum ten (10) years of experience as an administrator in a school district setting or as a SHRM certified corporate executive with demonstrated successful advancement through the administrative or executive managerial hierarchy, as appropriate, required.
Certificates, Licenses, Permits:
Valid Georgia Professional Standards Commission approved certificate in educational leadership at level L-5, NL-5, PL-6 or above required, or meet the eligibility requirement for a Support Personnel License from the Georgia Professional Standards Commission.
DeKalb County School District (DCSD) is Georgia’s third largest school system. Under the leadership of the Superintendent and the Board of Education, we prepare students for college and careers through a laser focus on rigorous, relevant classroom instruction related to each child’s needs.
The District serves over 93,000 students, 140+ schools and centers, and 15,500 employees, including 6,600 teachers. Students and parents speak over 185+ languages and represent over 155+ nations. With a laser focus, DCSD is a leader in STE(A)M curriculum with 32 certified STE(A)M schools and programs. School choice options are available in nearly 50 schools to include theme, magnet, IB, charter, and Montessori options.
Vision: to inspire our community of learners to achieve educational excellence.
Mission: to ensure student success, leading to higher education, work, and lifelong learning.
Motto: Inspire. Achieve. Excel.