The Human Resources Operations Manager in the School of Dentistry is responsible for the oversight of payroll, to provide human resources support for multiple departments, to lead and oversee initiatives and programs such as performance reviews, merit pay, compensation manual, resident onboarding and management under the directive of the Director of Human Resources.
This role serves as back up for and to assist the Director of Human Resources with requests, initiatives, programs, policies and procedures and any other tasks assigned. This role provides institutional background and insights to the human resources team. They will also support multiple departments, and assist and serve as back up for human resources team members as needed.
This person must have exceptional customer service skills and have a passion for helping others while maintaining and following correct processes along the way. They are to be a wealth of knowledge of current and previous practices and processes in order to review those when determining new ones and to help interpret and determine possible solutions or options for solving problems and issues before and after they arise. They are to follow protocols, policies and procedures but have an open mind and be adaptable to change and be flexible when possible to find ways to do things differently and more effectively and efficiently to adapt to changing processes and needs.
The School of Dentistry strives to create a supportive, inclusive and collaborative work environment that creates opportunities for talented employees to bring their passion and creativity to their role. As a school, we are committed to assuming the best in others and focusing on building trusting productive relationships within the school and throughout the university by demonstrating integrity and competency.
The mission of the School of Dentistry is to advance health through scientific discovery, innovative education, and the highest-quality care for all communities. The vision of the School of Dentistry is to lead the dental profession into the future of comprehensive healthcare.
Support of Supervisor and Staff (45%):
• Consults with supervisors on performance management solutions • Partners with subject matter experts across the University in key areas such as Office of Human Resources (central), Disability Resource Center, Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, on the resolution of complex questions regarding policies, procedures, and HR issues • Provides guidance to supervisors on workforce planning, development of position descriptions, compensation, recruitment and reclassifications • Advises and partners with supervisors on contract interpretation for labor-represented employees • Partners with supervisors on employee and labor relations including investigations, documentation, and issuing of discipline up to and including termination of appointment • Partners with supervisors on job postings, interviewing and reviewing of candidates and selection and offer of positions • Consults with supervisors on interpretation of university policy for all employee groups • Investigates complaints that may require remediation • Other duties as assigned
Oversee payroll processes (15%)
• Train and support a human resources professional who enters, audits, and maintains payroll for the School of Dentistry. Be a resource for questions and concerns related to payroll as well as other duties in supporting departments and school initiatives. • Assist with overpayment, retro and merit pay calculations and entry, interpretation of contracts in regards to payroll, and serve as back up to human resources professional for payroll. • Work with central payroll and others to enter, oversee and manage UMP payments and pay including WorkDay access and responsibilities.
Oversee Employee Engagement and Supervisor Development (10%):
• Facilitates or provides materials and knowledge for training and development for supervisors and employees on issues related to organizational effectiveness, such as compliance with HR administration or process improvement efforts that involve change management • Presents results of employee engagement surveys to departments and facilitates action-planning • Responds to concerns from supervisors or employees that may require investigation and remediation
Department Human Resources support (15%)
• Serve on all search committees as the human resources representative for the departments of support; and other departments as determined. This includes serving as the backup to the EOAA liaison, to ensure consistency of each search, to monitor and ensure compliance in recruiting, interviewing and referring of candidates for hire. Serves as a resource to applicants and faculty hiring managers in regards to salary determination, start up package, private practice, relocation and benefits. • Compile reports and information regarding employees, payroll costs, promotion and tenure status, annual review completion percent and scores/ratings, and any questions from the departments. • Partner with Department Administrative support and Department Chair on initiatives, projects, processes, etc. for the department.
Compliance and other duties (15%):
• Ensures compliance with federal, state and local laws, university policies and procedures as well as School of Dentistry policies and procedures • Supports communication plans to build organizational effectiveness • Researches issues such as pay equity by gathering and analyzing data and providing recommendations developed in consultation with compensation consultants in central human resources • Ensures accuracy of payroll entry and other HRMS records • Assists in Accreditation requirement fulfillment, ADEA survey requests, report and financial analysis regarding staff and overall employment data. • Assists with developing of policies and procedures relating to Human Resources within the School of Dentistry. • Provides basic information on employee benefits programs and policies or provides referrals to internal and external resources • Other duties as assigned
** You must show all of the required qualifications on your application materials. **
BA/BS with at least 4 years of experience or a combination of related education and work experience in the field of human resources to equal 8 years.
Experience in academia and supporting and advising on all employment classifications: students, labor represented, civil service, P&A and faculty (preferably have experience with residents, fellows and graduate appointments)
Experience in payroll management, oversight or entry in electronic system; preferably PeopleSoft
Extensive experience in areas of human resources which may include: employee and labor relations, succession planning, recruiting, writing/creating of job descriptions, selecting and offering of candidates, compliance with federal, state and local laws.
Experience working with and within FMLA, FLSA, ADA, and related requirements.
Extensive experience supporting supervisors at all levels which may include: providing support and advising on workforce planning, development of position descriptions, compensation, recruitment and reclassifications, contract interpretations, university policies and best practices.
Excellent customer service skills and a commitment to being responsive to requests.
BA/BS in Human Resources, Business Administration or related field
At least 8 years of experience in Human Resources in addition to degree (total of 12 years of education and experience)
Extensive customer service skills and experience in a manager, supervisor and/or human resources role
Experience working in a higher education research environment; familiarity with University of Minnesota policies and procedures
Experience with workers compensation, work accommodations, and/or related offices.
Advanced computer skills including spreadsheet development and maintenance using Excel and web database reporting
Experience with performance reviews and merit pay
Experience with employee engagement surveys, initiatives and action planning
Experience managing and prioritizing multiple tasks and work both independently and as part of a team
Experience/working knowledge of University of Minnesota Peoplesoft Human Resources system (HRMS), UM Reports/Reporting Center, ImageNow, Data Warehouse, Data Analytics and other reporting systems.
Internal Number: 341396
About University of Minnesota, Twin Cities
The University of Minnesota, founded in the belief that all people are enriched by understanding, is dedicated to the advancement of learning and the search for truth; to the sharing of this knowledge through education for a diverse community; and to the application of this knowledge to benefit the people of the state, the nation, and the world.