As a UW employee, you have a unique opportunity to change lives on our campuses, in our state and around the world. UW employees offer their boundless energy, creative problem solving skills and dedication to build stronger minds and a healthier world.
UW faculty and staff also enjoy outstanding benefits, professional growth opportunities and unique resources in an environment noted for diversity, intellectual excitement, artistic pursuits and natural beauty.
The Department of Family Medicine (DFM) has an exciting opportunity for a Human Resources Manager. This position fulfills an essential role in central administration of the Department of Family Medicine in managing a wide range of Academic and Staff Human Resources activities. The Department of Family Medicine is committed to promoting health equity, and creating an inclusive culture by maintaining a diverse employee, and values each individual’s unique contributions.
To provide professional level human resources support to the Department of Family Medicine’s Human Resources Department, with significant support to the MEDEX section. Perform professional level activities in the areas of faculty affairs, employment, compensation, regulatory compliance and school policy and procedures to ensure compliance. This position is expected to provide a wide variety of faculty and staff support and work closely with their Department HR counterparts. Under the supervision of the Department’s Human Resources Director this position will liaise with UW Campus HR Operations and will work closely with the School of Medicine’s Academic Appointments and Compensation unit and the UW’s Integrated Service Center (ISC).
Human Resource Functions:
-Work closely under the guidance of Department Administrators and central HR offices, advise and consult with hiring managers on processes in matters related to departmental HR management, manage the process of new hires, compensation changes, effort changes, and regulatory compliance such as FLSA, FMLA etc. Ensure compliance with departmental approval chain and UW and school processes and procedures. Support the leadership for improvement of department HR policies, procedures, and practices.
- Work with department HR Director to incorporate relevant ISC, UWHIRES, Compensation and central HR processes and departmental policies and procedures. Manage and support aspects of the hiring process (recruitment, offer letters, negotiations, UWHIRES process, in-grade increase, reappointments and promotion letters. etc.) as well as termination process, exit interviews and follow all departmental, school and UW procedures. Ensure correct flow of departmental approval processes throughout. Process travel/purchase reimbursement requests and payment requests as needed.
-Support the full scope of recruitment of faculty and staff appointments, craft job descriptions, generate and process requisitions for staff in Workday, process all staff position requisitions in Workday, schedule interviews for guest lectures and faculty interviews, communicate effectively with all stakeholders. Ensure compliance with University and Departmental HR policies, as well as applicable state and federal laws throughout the recruitment and selection process.
-Manage and schedule faculty onboarding, compliance training registration for medical staff appointment. Schedule and prepare orientation package for onboarding of new faculty and staff. Responsible for crafting and maintaining faculty onboarding packets, as well as termination/separation process to follow all departmental, school and UW procedures. Ensure correct flow of departmental approval processes throughout. support supervisors with the recruitment, selection, and hiring of faculty and staff.
-Work closely with department assistant to the chair, managers and departmental leaders to facilitate annual merit and performance evaluation process, assist with faculty annual reappointments and promotions. Occasionally, serve as backup to assistant to chair with scheduling and reminders for faculty meetings, taking minutes, soliciting items from section heads and vice chairs for agenda. Support Chair’s Advisory Committee. Support appointments and promotion (A&P) committee.
-Prepare, process and submit salary changes through appropriate channels.
- Partner with Department Vice Chair of Finance and Administration and Staff Advisory Committee to plan quarterly department staff meetings. Assist and support Department’s Justice, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (JEDI) Committee regarding resources the committee has put in place and department policies and best practices around hiring. Assist with creation of Administrative Office SOPs, Assist/research/respond to HR inquiries from faculty and staff.
- Manage all relevant Workday processes, working competently and collegiately with ISC contacts, departmental faculty and managers, departmental fiscal and operations managers, departmental leaders and administrative staff. Produce and utilize Workday reports to establish effective auditing and tracking procedures to ensure correct functioning of compensation, time leave absence and personnel actions. Interpret, explain and apply established organization and human resource guidelines, rules, policies and procedures related to classified or professional staff and faculty.
- Run, review and utilize regular systems reports, including a variety of Workday reports, and perform monthly, biweekly audits of various personnel and other important actions in the system. Oversee or facilitate appropriate remedies and corrections via ISC/Workday and other relevant systems. Work closely with unit and departmental managers and fiscal professionals, as well as essential partners as needed to ensure compliance is observed, and actions have been finalized. Establish a cooperative working relationship and follow the established process flow with the Administrative Office, and other relevant team partners on a regular basis. Ensure missions are communicated clearly and are coordinated accurately.
-Establish, maintain and support effective systems, records and tools in order to be a key player in continuous process improvement efforts for the department. Working closely with the Department Vice Chair for Finance and Administration and Department HR Director, other key members of departmental operations team brainstorm, work to improve and create effective systems and tools for improved functioning of HR and administrative processes.
- Suggest, develop and implement administrative processes and/or process improvements working cooperatively with the department administrative team and management. Offer well-researched solutions to recurring or new challenges.
- Create and maintain effective templates, user manuals, spreadsheets and tracking tools to improve organization and effectiveness of HR/Payroll functions for the department, including maintaining up to date templates for offer letters (classified, professional), separation checklists, onboarding and visa procedures, hiring checklists and tracking spreadsheets/ tools.
Expert Policy/Procedure, Compliance
- Maintain in-depth and current knowledge of school, University, State and Federal policies, and appropriately implement various UW HR policies and procedures to ensure departmental compliance.
Perform other duties as required to support the ongoing mission and strategic plans of the department.
As a UW employee, you will enjoy generous benefits and work/life programs. For a complete description of our benefits for this position, please visit our website, click here.
Bachelor's degree in relevant field, at least two years of high-level administrative experience; equivalent combination of education and experience.
Ability to handle confidential information with tact, discretion, and diplomacy, and to maintain strict confidentiality.
Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and strong interpersonal skills; ability to maintain a professional demeanor at all times.
Proven experience exhibiting a proactive, service-oriented manner and ability to deal effectively with a diverse and demanding client base.
Ability to work independently and as part of a team, manage priorities, multi-task, problem solve and exercise good judgment in a dynamic and deadline-driven environment.
Proven accuracy and attention to detail in work products.
Professional level competency with general MS Office applications, e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Microsoft Team, and ability to learn new software applications as necessary to do the job.
Equivalent education/experience will substitute for all minimum qualifications except when there are legal requirements, such as a license/certification/registration.
Experience researching and synthesizing information and communicating it effectively in verbal and written form.
Knowledge and experience using Workday.
Knowledge of HR policies, procedures, principles and practices.
Personnel and salary administration, recruitment techniques and management.
Experience in an academic setting.
Knowledge of human resource and compensation rules, regulations, policies and procedures along with administrative systems
Knowledge of HR policies, procedures and practices.
Commitment to Diversity
Priority will be given to candidates with experience who have demonstrated a commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI). The Department of Family Medicine is committed to building a culturally diverse faculty and staff and strongly encourages applications from culturally diverse candidates.
The application process for UW positions may include completion of a variety of online assessments to obtain additional information that will be used in the evaluation process. These assessments may include Workforce Authorization, Cover Letter and/or others. Any assessments that you need to complete will appear on your screen as soon as you select “Apply to this position”. Once you begin an assessment, it must be completed at that time; if you do not complete the assessment you will be prompted to do so the next time you access your “My Jobs” page. If you select to take it later, it will appear on your "My Jobs" page to take when you are ready. Please note that your application will not be reviewed, and you will not be considered for this position until all required assessments have been completed.
Founded in 1861, the University of Washington is one of the oldest public institutions in the west coast and one of the preeminent research universities in the world. The University of Washington is a multi-campus university comprised of three different campuses: Seattle, Tacoma, and Bothell. The Seattle campus is made up of sixteen schools and colleges that serve students ranging from an undergraduate level to a doctoral level. The university is home to world-class libraries, arts, music, drama, and sports, as well as the highest quality medical care in Washington State and a world-class academic medical center. The teaching and research of the University’s many professional schools provide undergraduate and graduate students the education necessary toward achieving an excellence that will serve the state, the region, and the nation. As part of a large and diverse community, the University of Washington serves more students than any other institution in the Northwest.